Emily's 30th - Stories and Notes from California Friends


In celebration of her 3rd decade, Emily's friends from California and abroad have shared the following stories and notes.

Alli Mooy

After moving to Redlands I was invited to a girls night to watch the bachelor. Little did I know this group of girls would become my best friends for life. Emily and I hit it off immediately. We had a lot in common. She was one of those people that was so easy to talk to, and easy to open up to. Our husbands Graham and Joe also had a lot in common and we quickly became friends.

I remember one night Graham and I were over at Emily and Joes apartment playing games and politics came up. Emily told me that she voted for Obama, listened to NPR and even pledged some money to President Obamas campaign; I knew we were destined to be friends!

I have always been a pretty healthy eater but not necessarily a great cook. Emily introduced me to a lot of cooking blogs and really I think I can attribute my passion for cooking back to her. She always makes the best food! And she is always so generous about sharing it. She was one of the few who showed up at my door with a yummy meal after I had Nash. Emily has such a good heart, and I know if I needed her, she would drop what she was doing to help me.you Emily!!!

Xoxo - Alli


Emily Wolfley

EJ, I'm so glad we had the opportunity to become friends! You're an amazing, funny, intelligent, compassionate person with such an incredible testimony and a passion for life.
I love you so much!


Erika Nelson

Emily,
I still remember that very first time we met. It was Girl's Night at Amy's house, and you were brand spanking new from Texas and about to pop with Claire. You were easy to talk to and so interesting that I couldn't wait to get to know you better! I'm so glad I did because you are one of my California gems that I feel truly lucky to have met. I've always been impressed by your maturity and how much older you seemed to act and think. You have the biggest heart and you truly care for those you love and go out of your way to serve them without complaint. I even remember how you brought me dinner after Archer was born and how yummy it was. You do make the very best food! I know any recipe I get from you is going to be gold!

You're so brainy and fun and always the first to suggest a get-together. You are the epitome of Boss Lady because once you set your mind to something, you go after it full-throttle. Like when you got your Bachelor's degree while still having a toddler at home. I was so sad when I couldn't make your graduation because I knew how hard you worked and what you had sacrificed to get there and I so wanted to celebrate you and your achievements. I know if you do decide to go back to school you won't let anything stand in the way of your dreams and you'll find a way to make it work, because that's who you are. You are going to do big things over the course of your life and I can't wait to see them unfold and watch you shine. You are one of those special people that make a difference wherever they go and whatever they do and I love that about you.

Happy 30th Birthday and welcome to the Old Lady Club! Miss you friend!

Love, Erika


Erin Durr

From day one I knew we were going to be friends, but I never imagined how good of friends we would become. You are my best friend. My person. The Merideth to my Christina. The Ethel to my Lucy (no Emily you cannot be Lucy, I already gave you Merideth). You have seen me through some great times and some very difficult ones, and I’d like to think I’ve done the same for you, although not as well. You are kind, smart, sweet, and loyal-that sounds like I’m describing a puppy but it’s true! Plus, you’re super pretty with fabulous hair and amazing skin.

I got the better end of the deal with this friendship and I’m the first to admit it. You are always there for me, always with the best advice and something funny to add. Not only are you a great friend, but I love and admire the kind of mother, wife, and person you are. You are so strong and capable, and you help others see the potential in themselves. You are the first person cheering when someone is happy, and the first one there if they are struggling. You are a celebrator and I think that’s what I love most about you. I am so happy you were born and so unbelievably grateful for our friendship.

Happy birthday!!!


Haili Murch

Emily was one of my first friends when I moved to California. Both times! Haha she welcomed me and helped me get to know the area. I asked her lots of questions and she never hesitated to answer and not just...kind of answer but gave me all the options possible! She made me feel welcome when we moved back the second time to include me in the bachelor group and get to know people.

I will forever cherish her kindness and making me feel welcome. She also was so kind to throw me a baby sprinkle for Calvin at a time I really felt lonely and she made me feel special and loved by her and many others! She’s also so fun and knowledgeable and a good person. I miss her already but hope we stay in touch always!

Happy happy 30!! Let’s rock our 30s girl!!


Meg Johnson

Emily has been so helpful to me and a great friend through so many ups and downs. We have laughed together when we were trying to make birthday cakes and were slowly losing our minds, she has been there for me in my darkest times when I was going through prepartum depression as well as whenever I needed advice. She also got me going to the gym in Highland which helped me the most during my pregnancy to keep above water. She is delightful to be around, really cares about her friends, really is invested in everything she does whether it is a craft, home project, parenting, cooking, her calling, or her testimony. She has been in a strength in my life and I know she has a strong testimony of the gospel and always wants to help others in need. I hope the best for her in in the next 30 years to come and so on after that! 
Thanks Em, you're the greatest! Happiest of birthdays to you!

Noelle Heaton

Happy 30th birthday Emily! I hope you’re just feeling wiser and not older.
I’ve been thinking this week of a story that would highlight some of the reasons why I love Emily. The one story that came to mind is when I first moved to Redlands and started coming to “girls nights”. I was pregnant with Claire and I didn’t really know any of the girls that well. Emily took it upon herself to throw me a baby shower even though I’d only known her for a short time. She went all out And the shower was so cute. For me that story is an example of what an accepting and kind person Emily is. She has always been such a great friend even from the beginning. I’m not sure where I’d be without her friendship. Emily has taught me so much through the years, and not just about makeup, gardening, decorating, cooking or HHS. I know her thoughtful advise and her example have made me a better person.

Emily I hope you have such a great birthday!

Love, Noelle


Kelsey Marrott

The thing I value most about Emily is how sensitive she is to others feelings. You can always count on her to listen and understand where you're coming from. There have been plenty of moments where she reached out to me privately and talked through things with me. I appreciate her honesty and her patience to answer all my questions. She is always someone I know I can go to with any kind of crazy/random question I may have. I have loved getting to know Emily over this last year and grateful for our friendship!

Love you Em! Happy Birthday!


Kristin Lee

Hey Emily! Happy 30th birthday from your long lost friend up in Alaska. I’m not there to celebrate this day with you, but I'm happy that I can wish you Happy Birthday and welcome you to the “Dirty 30 Club.” I myself have been there for a couple years, so congrats on getting to that point and milestone in your life. I’m almost overwhelmed with our friendship and what to say because I feel like there are just so many things. I think of you so highly and as such a good friend in my life, and we have so many memories together that we’ve shared. So hopefully I can convey a little bit of how much you mean to me and what a dear friend I think of you as and what an awesome person you are.



I miss the casualness of our friendship. Going to Target, Cafe Rio, it was just so easy. It just felt so easy to be friends with you. So I just have a lot of little memories of just doing the simple day-to-day stuff with you. Talking about parenthood and how stressful it was, and how stressful it was to be a new parent and not sleeping, and being pregnant, and wanting to be pregnant. And I feel that we covered all that ground, like we've talked about everything. And it was always so carefree, and we never got mad at each other for anything. And every day it was “Where we going? What are we doing?” Even when you moved out of the ward, we still saw each other all the time.

I remember the sad day when the moving truck came and everyone had left. And it was just us, we were like, “What are we going to do if we don't live by each other?” It was really sad day when we separated, but I think the cool thing and that is that we are still great friends. We got to such a high-level of friendship and became so close in that short time that we were together in California that now when we get back together, or talk on the phone, or do Marco Polo, we just pick up where we left off and there's no awkwardness and it’s totally comfortable.

And we know that will just continue to check in with each other for, I think, forever. I feel like we'll still take trips together and visit each other and talk about big life moments. We’ve both had babies since our girls and talked about how much it's rocked our world and other hard times. You're still just a huge part of my life and such a great friend. And I’ve said it before, but you're not just a friend, you're definitely like a sister. I know you don't have any sisters but you're definitely like a sister to me. I have three and there are things we are closer with than I am with them. I feel like I’m on the same level with you, and you are just one of the most lovely people I know. One of the most thoughtful friends, very devoted, and very intelligent. The world is a better place to have you in it and to have you here for 30 years. So I just wanted to say that I love you. I wish I could see you; hopefully I can see you soon this year and I hope you have a fantastic time celebrating with your family. I love you girlfriend! Happy birthday!



Rachel Van Wickle

I can literally think of at least five recipes off the top of my head that I was introduced to because of Emily. Also, a handful of songs and musical artists, and I'm pretty sure Emily introduced me to hot yoga when it was all the rage. Because that is the spirit of Emily - she is an influencer. She loves to share whatever joy she has found with the world. I love that about her. She can make you feel like you are getting secret insider tips just from a conversation about something as benign as grocery shopping.

Her generous heart, her drive, and her desire to always learn new things makes for constant interest; it's impossible to have a dull conversation with Emily. I can even remember her taking time during a visit to meticulously edit Jon's medical school application essay. Who does that while on a relaxing weekend trip?! And of course the last time I saw Emily I mentioned my concern about going to Disneyland with one stroller and two kids - and what does she do? Offer to swap and let me borrow her double stroller, even though she too was going to Disneyland on the same day. But that's Emily for you. I can't be surprised by it all because I've come to know that's just who she is. A tremendous friend and a light to those around her.

I love you Em! Happy birthday!


Shanna Cluff

Emily,will always remember you as my first friend in California. I cannot adequately express to you how grateful I am for your friendship. I had just moved across the country without family nearby and didn’t know anyone, but I met you at church that first Sunday and you were so nice and immediately invited me to hang out. The first time I went to “girl’s night, we drove together and it was so easy to have a conversation with you and you just made me feel really welcome.

My first year in California was probably one of the hardest years of my life because of Mike’s work schedule and his grumpy mood, but it would have been so much harder if it weren’t for you. I had friends basically from the beginning, thanks to you, and that made all the difference! You were so inclusive and invited me to everything - girl’s nights, Disneyland, the gym, playdates…. You also threw me a baby shower, sent your husband over to spend the night with Kirk while I was in labor, visited me in the hospital, and brought my mom and I lunch… I could go on. Thank you!! Thank you for always being there, my Highland buddy (sorry I had to go and move, haha!). You are so supportive about everything without passing judgment, and I know I can turn to you when I need help or just someone to talk to. You have been and still are a true friend, and I love you!


Comments