Thanksgiving and Recipe: Mashed Potatoes



This year we'll be far away from our family, but you better believe we're still doing it up big.  We love Thanksgiving, especially the leftovers, and I'm not missing an opportunity to do one of my favorite things: cooking.  We'll be meeting up with some good friends for a yummy meal and then we'll have a game night after.  I'm so excited!  I think Joe is a little scared, but I told him that this is basically my big climbing trip, so we're doing it!  We'll post pictures after the big day! Here's a rundown of our menu:

Main Dish:
Turkey (a friend is making it)

Sides:
Garlicky Green Beans with Pine Nuts (recipe)
Sweet Potato Casserole (recipe)
Mashed Potatoes (see recipe below)
Gravy (a friend is making it)
Cornbread Stuffing with Raisins (family recipe)
Apple-Cranberry Sauce (recipe)
Rolls (family recipe)
Fruit Salad (family recipe)

Dessert:
Pumpkin pie (crust, family recipe; filling, recipe)
Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream (recipe)


Mashed Potatoes
adapted from Joy of Cooking
6 servings

This is my very own mashed potato recipe.  I love the extra taste that the veggies add.  I always find myself missing it when I don't add it. I've never made this with non-dairy substitutes, but I'm sure it will turn out just fine this year.  Happy Thanksgiving!

2 pounds russet or baking potatoes (about 6 med), cut into large chunks (peel if desired)
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 onion slices, chopped
2 small ribs celery with leaves
2 small bay leaves
8 tbsp butter
1 ½ tsp salt
ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup half and half or milk

  1. Boil potatoes, garlic, onion, celery, and bay leaves until the potatoes tender, about 20-30 minutes.
  2. Drain well.  Remove any large pieces of vegetables.
  3. Return to the pan and shake over medium heat until the potatoes are mealy and dry. Cover to keep hot.
  4. Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat.  Then whisk in the half-and-half, salt, and pepper. Continue to heat over low heat, careful not to boil the mixture.
  5. Meanwhile, mash the potatoes.  Then, whip in the butter and cream mixture until reaching the desired consistency (Sometimes I use the whole pan, sometimes I only need a little).  Continue to whip for another 30 seconds, until fluffy.
  6. Serve at once with a sprinkle of paprika or place in a buttered dish with a thin layer of half-and-half on top and hold in a warm oven for up to 30 minutes.

Comments