Trip Report - Whitney Trail

In my short time living in California, I have done my best to use my trips to the High Sierra as an opportunity to explore new trails and mountains. So my latest trip, a return to Whitney Portal for another bid at summiting Mount Whitney, was a little out of the norm for me. However, it was a great opportunity to see another side of the mountain and allowed me a wonderful weekend in the hills.

The Back Story
So to explain a little about why I went back to Mt. Whitney, earlier this year I got into a discussion about hiking and mountaineering with a guy I work with, Warren. Warren is a veteran hiker who has logged hundreds of miles in the mountains of southern California, the Sierras, and elsewhere. He shared with me stories of hiking the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim, hiking the snowy peak of Mt. Baldy, and other local adventures. During the course of our conversation, he mentioned an interest in attempting another summit of Mt. Whitney in the summer. I shared my desire to climb the mountain as well. A few weeks later, Warren informed me that he had secured a day permit for two on the Whitney Trail (the most commonly used path to the summit) and invited me to come along with him. I anxiously accepted the invitation and marked the weekend of July 14 on my calendar. This was all done before Chris and I planned for and went on our trip in early June to do the Mountaineers Route and East Buttress on  Mt. Whitney.

Friday (7/13)


  • Warren and I left Redlands a little after 8:00am. In order to keep our reserved permits, we had to be at the Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center to pick them up by noon.
    Eastern Sierra InterAgency Visitor Center
  • The drive was short and uneventful (except for a short run in with the CHP, who kindly reminded Warren to keep his speed somewhere close to the posted limits). 
  • We arrived at the Visitor Center around 11:30am. Inside a friendly ranger completed our permits and reminded us about rules/regulations for the area. We were a little concerned by the forecast weather and ominous looking clouds we could see sitting over the Portal.
  • The weather forecast in the Visitor Center
    Clouds over Whitney Portal
  • After leaving the Visitor Center we drove up to the Whitney Portal. At the Portal we found a small campground next to the upper parking lot where we could pitch our tent for the night. We had reserved a site at the Lone Pine Campground, but we decided that it would be better if we were able to sleep at 8,000 ft instead of 6,000. 
  • After setting up camp, we walked over to the Whitney Portal Store and made a lunch of their famous hamburgers and fries. 
  • We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening relaxing around the area, napping, snacking, and watching hikers come down the trail. 
  • We went to bed around 9:00pm anxious to get a good sleep before the long day ahead of us.
Saturday (7/14)
  • Warren and I woke up a couple minutes before 4:00am and were packed and ready to go by 4:30am.
  • We started up the trail in darkness but over the course of an hour or so the sun had risen and started the day in earnest. As we hiked up the trail we enjoyed beautiful views of vibrant green trees contrasted by massive granite walls and blue bird skies. That's right, we had clear blue, cloudless skies, a promise of no rain that held for the entire day!
    Thor Peak
    Those Trees! That Granite!
      The colors in this valley were surreal.
  • By the time we reached Trail Camp, Warren was feeling the effects of altitude, and he decided to take some time by the lake there to rest and evaluate his condition. He encouraged me to go ahead and we planned to meet up on the trail between camp and the summit or back at the lake.
  • I proceeded without Warren, but not alone (there were many other people on the trail that day). At this point, the elevation kicks up significantly and the trail begins a long series of steep switchbacks that zig-zag up 1,600ft to the path on top of the ridge called Trail Crest. Feeling strong I kicked out the first 1,200ft in under an hour and made the top of the switchbacks shortly after that.
    Cables on the switchbacks above some steep slabs
    The official top of the switchbacks
  • At the top of the switchbacks I still had about 3 miles to go, but with a flatter trail and the end in sight I knew that I was going to be able to make the summit. This section of trail was by far my favorite part of the hike. I walked along a ridge line that in places threw towering pinnacles of rock right in front of the trail and just a few hundred feet farther along lead me beside sheer drops that ended thousands of feel below me on the valley floor. Breathtaking!

    Trail Crest looking south towards the switchbacks
    Another world on the tops of the mountains
    Quite a drop, just a step or two off the trail!

    The sky framed perfectly in granite
  • The last rise to the summit of Mt. Whitney is a low angle slope of busted granite that slowly climbs the southwestern side of the peak. But as I made my way up the lazy switchbacks, the summit hut suddenly appeared, closer than I expected, and then I was there on the top of Mt. Whitney for the third time in two months.
    Happy to be at the halfway point, Summit Hut behind me
      Signed the summit log this time: "Team Mayfield Strikes Again!!!"
  • I spent about 30 minutes on the top, resting, trying to call Emily (no reception this time), and choking down some food. Incoming clouds from the north threatened rain so I decided to start moving back down, last place I wanted to be when the lightening came was on the tallest point in all the land!
    Looks like rain, better get down!
  • Going down was easier than going up, and I reached the top of the switchbacks in good time. Shortly after starting down the switchbacks, I ran into Warren coming up. He told me he would turn around after he got to Trail Crest. Deciding to wait for him there, I found a comfy rock and took a nice 30 minute nap!
  • After getting to the top of the switchbacks Warren came back down and we descended together. 
  • Looking back at Mount Whitney and her sisters as the sun sets 
  • The rest of the hike back to the car was long and uneventful, a little foggy in my memory, but I know we were moving slow towards the end and finally arrived at the car after dark. 
  • Thinking about my girls, the food in town, and a soft bed at home, I proposed that we drive home that night. Warren quickly agreed. Feeling alert, and anxious to be on the way, I drove us into Lone Pine where we grabbed a quick bite and then headed south to Redlands. I was a little worried that I might get drowsy on the drive home (I'm usually a horrible driver at night) but I was still so wired from the hike that I got all the way home and spent an hour talking with Emily after I arrived before I went to sleep (I had been awake for almost 24 hours). 

Comments